It is a widespread commonplace that home automation is some kind of luxury. It is an opinion spread by those who do not know the matter and try to forward their customers to solutions which are obsolete but that they know better.
Actually, it does not make any sense to evaluate the cost of a system, automated or not, if not in relation with what it is capable to offer. It does not make any sense to compare the cost of two cars without taking into account if they share the same category or equipped with the same optionals! For this reason, we can say that if a cost of a complete and exclusive system is by all means high, we cannot say the same about a basic system.
With a little extra, compared to a traditional system, it is possible to realize a Bus system who is conceptually and technologically modern and suitable to future extensions. With a reasonable initial investment, by all means refunded by the added value that the building itself acquires and by the greater maintenance in value over time, you can realize an up-to-date, efficient and modern system.
The list of functions of a home automation system is long and is constantly growing over time. You can read below some examples.
- Switching and controlling indoor and outdoor lighting
- Controlling of heating, air conditioning and ventilation
- Controlling of motor drives for shading devices (such as shutters, blinds or curtains), doors and windows
- Switching, controlling and remote monitoring
- Detection and signaling of technical and security alarms
- Managing of scenarios, logical and functional coordination among several systems, centralized controls, automated controls depending on presence or movement
- Access control
- Internal and perimeter monitoring
- Forwarding of alarms and messages to service centers
- Presence simulation
- Load management
- Detection and visualization of heat, water and electricity consumption
There are further functions to be indirectly controlled through standard or dedicated interfaces to other systems.
It is primary, in order to spare futile manpower and material costs, to include the home automation design in the early stages of a building construction or renovation: this is because the home automation system needs to be designed in order to be connected to the other systems (electrical, hydraulic and thermal), therefore it is necessary to involve the professional figures for each sector in the early stages of the project.
A scene is a configuration allowing to setup the use of specific devices, installed in different environments. Thanks to time scheduling, which turns on and shuts off the devices at specific hours or upon specific events, the scene offers high comfort conditions. For example: an open bedroom window and the air conditioning in comfort position can form a scene.
Yes, because all commands are managed in very low voltage (SELV).
Compared to traditional solutions, a home automation system offers flexibility, intended as possibility to manage the system according to specific demands, as well as the possibility of a future reconfiguration, thanks to its modularity and technology upgradability.